Developing a digital circular plastics platform
- Lehrstuhl für Kunststoffverarbeitung der RWTH Aachen (IKV)
- Werkzeugmaschinenlabor (WZL) der RWTH Aachen
- Reifenhäuser GmbH & Co. KG Maschinenfabrik (Reifenhäuser Maschinenfabrik)
- Reifenhäuser Blown Film GmbH (Reifenhäuser Blown Film)
- Arburg GmbH + Co. KG (Arburg)
- Brückner Maschinenbau GmbH & Co. KG (Brückner Maschinenbau)
- Interseroh Dienstleistungs GmbH (Interseroh)
- Henkel AG & Co. KGaA (Henkel)
- Kunststoff-Werkzeugbau (Pöppelmann)
At the end of the project, end users will be able to evaluate the life cycle environmental impacts of plastic packaging and factor environmental assessments into decisions about the use of plastic packaging. Ultimately, the inclusion of environmental assessments in the decision making process will help users make reductions to their environmental impacts in a financially viable way.
Broadly speaking, the project is pursuing two approaches. Firstly, the project will establish a network that enables interested parties to cooperate. Secondly, the project will develop a digital platform to collect and provide data for the life cycle assessments of circular plastic products.
CARBON MINDS’ CONTRIBUTION
Carbon Minds will contribute to the development of a model for the environmental assessment of plastic packaging with recycled content. We are developing LCI data and providing industry knowledge to guide the project partners. For example, Carbon Minds will discuss the issue of data formats and coordinate agreement between project partners on which data formats will ensure a coherent data flow. By contributing the data we developed and our industry knowledge, we are ensuring that the project enables end users to accurately calculate the environmental impacts of plastic packaging.
CARBON MINDS LEAD CONTRIBUTOR
Aline Anuch Kalousdian
Process Engineer for
Life Cycle Assessment